Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shivam's first day out

A lot has happened in the last 48 hours. I have been meaning to write the "detailed" story and got lazy.

Yesterday started with Shivam getting off isolation. Sounds nothing, right? But it meant a lot. It meant we could get out of the room, move in the corridors, go to the playroom, etc., etc. Of course, we did not utilize our new found freedom immediately. Shivam did have a little more energy and he sat up and played for a few hours.  Second major achievement was giving Shivam a bath. After 24 days!!! Wow. Cool. It was a bit of struggle and took us 2 hours to convince him. And still we had to "drag" him to the bathroom.

On the flip side, he was still vomiting a bit so the docs did not start him on feeding. Another day lost.

101_0033Today,  Urmila prepped up the morning with couple of toy cars in the room. As soon as Shivam got up, he saw them and wanted to go outside. Soon Bapu, Mummy and Meera came over and we had a small family time together.  Meera wanted to jump on Shivam's bed and he wanted her off. It was fun to see them fight :-)

Shivam then wanted to ride his toy car and we bowed in front of his screaming. Urmila spent almost an hour wandering the corridors before coming back. Sometime during the trip, the nurse started his pedialyte feed and

And then he wanted to go out again. Immediately. This time, the whole family went out for a stroll. Meera also got her own car and they both enjoyed these moments together. So did we.

101_0043 101_0062

After this long and tiring excursion, Shivam got extremely tired and almost fell asleep immediately.  The evening was a little unpleasant with Shivam throwing up a few times and then again falling back to sleep. Shivam had a few visitors in the evening. Kamesh, Vaishu, Rutwick and Shilpa dropped by. Shivam was happy to see some other faces than ours. But he was a little nauseated to fully enjoy their visit.

Overall, the doctors are slow but steady progress.

Oh, I almost forgot. We got "promoted" (aka kicked out) to a shared room. This is the same room where Zoey was moved to when Shivam took over her room. I consider this a promotion as Zoey very soon got discharged after moving into that room.

The doctor also told us about the discharge criterion. It's a long list and the estimated time frame is another week to 10 days. That would make this trip almost 6 weeks in the hospital. Yay!!!


Anonymous said...

That surely is very good progress and one we were all waiting for. Looking forward to seeing you guys back home very soon.


Anonymous said...

The essence of your time spent today is comparable to:
To see a World in a grain of sand
And a Heaven in a wild flower, hold Infinity in the palm of your hand and Eternity in an hour.

Anonymous said...

This post elated our spirits a lot after the last few weeks. Hoping and praying that he gets out of the hospital soon.


Anonymous said...

This is a very good progress. Shivam is looking so cute in all the photos.
I could see him have a lovely time with his sister. That is very nice to see.
God bless you Shivam and hope to see you soon driving your car towords home.

Anonymous said...

Nice to know that lot of good things happening. Now it is just a matter of time before you all move back home.


Anonymous said...

Nikhil, Urmila & family :)
Thanks for sharing this wonderful moment with everyone!!
Our thoughts are with you and looking forward for all of you to be home soon.

From east coast

Anonymous said...

thats a good progress. Shivam will be home soon.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to you all. Shivam, lookS so cute in his car. I hope his nausea goes away and he can come home soon....

Anonymous said...

Creating beautiful milestones...

Anonymous said...

woww nice see shivam back to playing again..iam very very happyy..thanks for sharing with us all